We have truly enjoyed the privilege of developing meaningful relationships with each of you during the past three years. The patient-physician relationship provides the most fulfilling aspect of our work, and it is the impetus for our current office change. We are thrilled to tell you about our new, personalized medicine practice, Downtown Drs. Brown. We opened on September 17th in the former Jefferson Center building (now named West on 2nd) near downtown Lexington.
Our new clinic model gives us the space and time to practice a higher level of individualized care. This will include a heightened focus on wellness and prevention. Let us explain.
Why make a change?
The healthcare landscape is changing in ways that make it difficult for a corporately owned primary care office to provide customized care for patients. With greater demands on physicians from insurance and regulatory forces, face-to-face time between patients and their physician is being eroded. This problem will only worsen as a greater number of patients seek care from a decreasing number of primary care doctors. Our new clinic model was born as a necessity to wrestle control back from these outside forces. We will be able to once again put the utmost focus on the patient-physician relationship, which we believe is paramount to providing fantastic medical care.
What does our change mean for you?
Essentially, all of us want to be treated with respect by a caring physician who is committed to our individual health. Our new practice will see a limited number of patients via a membership fee covering an extended exam and additional services not covered by insurance. By using a membership model of primary care, it has been shown patients receive better care (fewer hospitalizations, fewer specialist referrals and fewer overall medicines), while also gaining a sense of control in their health. This model eliminates the rush of an overbooked schedule; now we can take more time to understand your history and know your goals for the future, as well as foster a greater connectivity with you to meet those goals.
Joining our much smaller practice will allow you to enjoy significant benefits not typically found in a medical practice today — which should translate into better health and vitality for you. These are a few of the benefits you will experience:
- You’ll always see your doctor. Each visit. Every time. There will be no nurse practitioners or physician assistants.
- Direct availability to your doctor via cell phone, text message, and email throughout the year — for your peace of mind and possibly eliminating the need for an appointment altogether.
- Extended and relaxed office visits so that all your questions can be addressed. This will allow us space to explore more deeply the root cause of issues that are not always evident on first glance. It also allows us time to discuss optimal health, rather than simply taking care of sickness when it arises.
- Same-day or next-day appointments for your complete convenience, and brief or no office wait time so you may return to your day as soon as possible.
- If you are hospitalized, we will see you in the hospital and act as your healthcare advocate to help coordinate care with your assigned physicians. Having your primary care physician by your side in the hospital is invaluable.
- Annual Wellness Visit with a customized plan to improve your quality of physical and mental health. There will be close monitoring of this plan throughout the year with necessary adjustments. The plan may include health coaching, yoga, meditation, acupuncture, therapy, nutrition education and various other holistic approaches.
In summary, our new model will allow time to focus on wellness and disease prevention, a cornerstone of primary care. And of course, we will continue to care for patients with chronic or complex diseases, as well as any urgent needs. Regardless of your health status, your physician will be directly involved in every level of your care with detail that was not possible in our prior practice. We are confident our new office will redefine your expectations for medical care.
How our new practice works
All patients have the opportunity to join on a first come basis. We encourage those of you who wish to continue as our patient to inform us as soon as possible, and benefit from our Founders Price (a lower fee for those of you willing to change with us). Once we meet capacity, a waiting list will be started. The yearly fee to become a member of Downtown Drs. Brown is $2,000 to $2,500 for individuals, depending on age. In addition to the Founders Price, a Couples Discount is available. Payments may be made monthly or annually through debit or credit card. More pricing detail is available here.
Membership is not an insurance plan, so you will use your health insurance coverage just as you always have.
How to continue as our patient
Since a number of our patients are expected to show interest in this opportunity, we encourage you to ensure your place now. Here are the easy ways to join our practice.
For more information, you may call us or attend one of our information sessions. Reserve your information session spot here or simply call our office. We are always happy to talk with you.
Again, it is a privilege to be your physician. We are very passionate about the change we are making. It will allow us a better venue to practice medicine at our utmost skill, which should lead to a healthier and happier you.
With warm regards,
Drs. Cady and Ryan Brown