To my Patients,
I have truly enjoyed the privilege of developing meaningful relationships with each of you during the past four years. The patient-physician relationship provides the most fulfilling aspect of my work, and it is the impetus for my current office change. I am thrilled to tell you about the new practice I am joining — Downtown Drs. Brown. It is a personalized primary care office in Lexington.
This practice uses a different primary care model that will allow me the space and time to practice a higher level of individualized care, which includes a heightened focus on wellness and prevention. Let me explain.
Why make a change?
The healthcare landscape is changing in ways that make it difficult for a corporately owned primary care office to provide customized care for patients. With greater demands on physicians from insurance and regulatory forces, face-to-face time between patients and their physician is being eroded. This problem will only worsen as a greater number of patients seek care from a decreasing number of primary care doctors. The clinic model used by Downtown Drs. Brown was born as a necessity to wrestle control back from these outside forces. At my new office, I will be able to put the focus on the patient-physician relationship.
What does my change mean for you?
Essentially, all of us want to be treated with respect by a caring physician who is committed to our individual health. My new practice allows me to see a limited number of patients via a membership fee. The fee covers an extended exam plus additional services not covered by insurance. Membership models of primary care have shown patients receive better care (e.g. fewer hospitalizations, fewer specialist referrals and fewer overall medicines), while also giving patients a sense of control in their health. The model eliminates the rush of an overbooked schedule; now I can take more time to understand your history, treat your symptoms and know your goals for the future.
Joining this much smaller practice will allow you significant benefits not typically found in practices today — which should translate into better health and vitality for you. These are a few of the benefits you will experience:
- You’ll always see me. Each visit. Every time. There will be no nurse practitioners or physician assistants.
- Direct availability to me via cell phone, text message, and email throughout the year — for your peace of mind and possibly eliminating the need for an appointment altogether.
- Extended and relaxed office visits so that all your questions can be addressed. This will allow us space to explore more deeply the root cause of issues that are not always evident on first glance. It also allows us time to discuss optimal health, rather than simply taking care of sickness when it arises.
- Same-day or next-day appointments for your complete convenience, and brief or no office wait time so you may return to your day as soon as possible.
- If you are hospitalized, I will act as your healthcare advocate to help coordinate care with your assigned physicians.
- Annual Wellness Visit with a customized plan to improve your quality of physical and mental health. There will be close monitoring of this plan throughout the year with necessary adjustments.
In summary, this new clinic will allow me time to focus on wellness and disease prevention, a cornerstone of primary care. And, of course, I will continue to care for patients with chronic or complex diseases, as well as any urgent needs.
How the new practice works
All my patients have the opportunity to join on a first come basis. Once I meet capacity, a waiting list will be started. The monthly fee to become a member of Downtown Drs. Brown is $250. Payments are made monthly via ACH, or annually if you prefer ($3,000). Membership is not an insurance plan, so your health insurance coverage will be used as it always has been.
How to continue as my patient
Since a number of my patients are expected to show interest in this opportunity, if you are interested in joining, then I encourage you to inform Downtown Drs. Brown or me as soon as possible. Ways to take the next step:
- Call Davis Meyer, the Director of Patient Experience at Downtown Drs. Brown, 859.687.6595
- Visit the website, DowntownDrsBrown.com
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. It is a privilege to be your physician. I am very passionate about the change I am making. It will allow me a better venue to practice medicine at my highest skill, which should lead to a healthier and happier you.
With warm regards,
Katie Kinsel, MD